Monday, September 20, 2010

It Could Always be Worse

(This post really has nothing to do with loosing weight or any of that)

I feel like the last month was one big test. To see how stressed out I could get without pulling all my hair out and jumping out the nearest window... but now I feel like I passed...
Oh, I still have stress of course. But some of it has been relieved :) And the rest? I know it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I will have to just do my best to cope with it. And I will try and remember these words that bring me comfort:

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

Also, I have to remember that it could ALWAYS be worse. I feel that today for sure...

My Mom and Step Dad are living with my little brother, they are struggling and I know they can't afford it, yet they came over today and gave me $20. They said for the cookies OR just towards the price if I wasn't able to sell them and had to pay... that was so nice of them. My middle brother came and also spent $20 on cookies on top of giving my son money for his birthday. He may be better off money wise, but he still didn't have to do that. He doens't even have an oven hooked up right now lol! My youngest brother was going to spend $20, but we had all we needed by the time he got out of work. My family really came through for us today. It was really such a surprise... it was really nice. Even though they are struggling, they went out of their way for their family. I know my other brother would have too if he could have.
Lots of people came through for us today :)

One of those is my cousin K. She came over and also bought $20 worth!
K is a single mother of 3 little girls. Ages 3, 5, and 9. She has been having trouble with her middle child's Dad, always getting back with him and breaking up over and over. He is a worthless piece of trash... On top of that he is a drug addict, and physically abusive to her. Even in front of the kids. I'm always real with her, she knows she will get no bull shit from me, I've told her time and time again that she needs to stay away from him. It's not just her but the kids she has to worry about. I also tell her that I know it's hard, but she has to do whats right for them. That I love her, and will always be there for her, but she knows how I feel about it all.

She is still on and off with him, but more off lately. She just got a part time job last week, after being unemployed for... 8 years? It is hard to get a job around here, so things were looking up. She is also going to school part time.
Well last night she had to go to work, and he came over to babysit. He was high as a kite, on who knows what. He's mostly into pills and his methadone, so he was messed up. Got dropped off and couldn't even keep his head up. She made him leave and then I'm not sure what happened. I guess she must have stayed home from work, because she was having dinner with her daughters when her 9 year old started to imitate how her boyfriend had been acting. She was slurring and rolling her eyes up in her head. Her head was rolling around like she couldn't keep it up... K got really mad, she yelled at her to STOP IT, THAT'S NOT FUNNY! But no one was laughing. It wasn't an act.
She was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance, it was too late to pump her stomach, but they gave her something to help it go through her system faster... she came out of it alright...
She had swallowed 3 white pills. The test couldn't tell what they were... they could have been ANYTHING. When they asked why she took them, she said because she thought they were candy... but when asked HOW she took them, she said with a glass of water. "Do you usually swallow candy with water?" They asked. "No..." So you can read into that what you will...

She is home today, last I knew she was still unsteady on her feet and running into things. But she can talk, and everything else is ok. Child Protective Services will be paying a visit to K's house this week. Of course she doesn't know when, and doesn't know what will happen. She called her 'boyfriend' and told him that was it. That she finally decided her children were more important than him, and it's over. God I hope she is serious this time... I KNOW she is right now, but I hope she is in a month when he begs to come back...

And what if it's to late? What if CPS comes and takes her kids tomorrow? What if they decide to test her, and see that she has a little something in her system from a party she went to a few weeks ago??? What then???
I feel so bad for her, I know she is sick with worry. I also know that she should have stopped this along time ago... so it's hard to know how to feel...

All I know, is that all my money trouble, my weight struggles, all my horrible luck lately... it just seems so... unimportant. This last month my dryer quit, my car broke down, I had to get a tetanus shot when I hurt myself, both my phones quit working the other day, my air conditioner broke last month and we just got the bill for the electric. It's $100 more than usual because the air was on and not working for about 15 hours straight. That bill is now a shut off notice. The neighborhood I live in just seems to get worse and worse... there is more, but you get the point... all this sucks. But really? It's all just inconvenient compared to some peoples problems. It could ALWAYS be worse. My problems are not the end of the world. FAR from it.
If I lost my child? THAT would be the end of the world.

9 comments:

  1. Damn. That's a hell of a month. It might seem like your problems are small compared to those others have, but stop and think. How many of your problems are a direct failure on your part? Ok, weight issues, yes. And weight does indirectly affect how you handle the rest of your life, due to changes in attitude, tiredness, etc. However! There is a world of difference between chronic overeating and allowing your children to endure a situation like that. You are a far kinder and more forgiving person than I am.

    Anyway, didn't mean that to turn into a rant. It's good that you are able to look at your situation clearly, and see that it could be worse, rather than simply getting bogged down by it. Good on ya! And I am glad your family came through for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, it wasn't a rant :)
    I know exactly what you're saying.

    Usually I'm not so forgiving, especially when it comes to people not putting their children first. That is one thing that just sets me off... I guess in this case I really see how upset she is, and just want so bad for her to change. Everything was looking up for her, and I guess I am looking for the good in her... maybe looking to hard... I just hope this was the last straw, I mean if this didn't wake her up nothing will... and if it DID wake her up, for her to loose the kids now...

    ugh :( like I said- I really don't know how to feel about it all. It's pretty sad all around.

    Thank you for your rant :)
    Whatever happens, I just hope it happens soon. I know I am starting to feel the stress of it weigh on me, so she must be going crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this has been a wake up call and your cousin sorts herself out. She was incredibly lucky that her daughter's body was able to process the toxin. That guy has to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - at least you somehow found a moment of serenity in the midst of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say, wow, too and agree with Anne. It's sad that children have to be in middle of adult problems. I hope it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope everything will work out and that your cousin's child is safe. You do have the right perspective.

    Having said that, your month SUCKED. :( I'm hoping that your luck has started to turn around and that the $20 for each bucket of cookie dough is helping.

    You are in my thoughts often. I hope you are taking care of yourself...in the midst of all this stress, goodness knows you need some good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Tina, not sure how to respond to your cousin's ordeal. My first instinct is to say that she doesn't deserve to have children if she is not protecting them from danger. I know that sounds a bit harsh but children look to adults for protection and it doesn't seem like she's doing a very good job of it. If CPS does decide to investigate her I hope for her sake that she tests clean. From your writing I am assuming that she is also a user, sorry not a good role model for children in my eyes.
    You've got the right attitude with the Serenity Prayer, just keep focused on that and you will be able to deal with almost anything. Glad your family came through with the cookie dough purchases, I hate it when the schools force the kids to sell this stuff to make funds to do outings. When I was in school the school district paid for everything. Seems like there isn't a night goes by lately that there isn't a child at the door asking us to buy something or sponsor them for something. I have to put my foot down and say no once in awhile as it just gets too costly and I don't need the cookie dough or the chocolates they are selling.
    Life throws us so many curves that sometimes it's hard to see the good for the bad but you are wise in saying that no matter how bad it gets there is someone else worse off than yourself. Wonderful attitude....it will carry you far! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad your cousin's daughter is apparently going to be OK. For now, anyway. It may not last if K stays around the child's dad much longer. Wow, what a mess.

    Glad you are getting rid of some of the cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your comments. You are all absolutely right. She is damn lucky that her daughter is ok. And the guy should have been gone a LONG time ago. The longer I think about it the more I realize things may not change even after this horrible thing has happened... All I can do is hope that it woke her up, and really showed her that she HAS to put those kids first! It may be to late though, she may loose them. I just pray that whatever is supposed to happen, happens. What ever is best for them.

    Tessa, it's not harsh. I know exactly what you are saying, and she hasn't done a good job. By keeping him in her life, she knowingly put her daughters in harms way.
    Thanks and Hugs :)

    Happy Fun Pants, thank you for stopping by! :)
    In the middle of all this, it seems my luck changed Sunday. We got rid of all the cookie dough AND I got the email that I won a gift card from your review blog!!!!! I can't tell you how much I needed a little good news :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete