Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Zoo

I have been super tired ever since we went to the zoo lol. So anyway lets start there.
It was cleaning day at the zoo, and apparently they don't do it BEFORE the zoo opens at 9am. I think it must be cut backs because this is the first time we have ever had teenagers in our way while petting the sting rays. Or walk in and were greeted by a nasty smell, or watched people hose down empty enclosures... After the first 10 minutes though, I forgot about all this and had a great time :) PLUS all the walking was great exercise of course!
As you know, I have the stupidest cameras ever, so I couldn't take any pictures. We did get a few short videos though. I can't seem to upload them for some reason. But here's some of my favorite pictures from last year of a little bit of what we saw today. (There are about 200 pictures from last year alone LOL)



I love frogs lol. Have a lot of frog pics,
but I'll spare you and just post the 2 :)

To get to where you can see the male lion well, you have
to walk up a LOT of stairs. It was a WORK OUT.
I am happy to say that when I was done I was a little out of breath,
but that's all. Last year I had to sit down and rest(for the first and LAST time!)


Those 2 are from the 'sting ray touch.'
This is a ray coming out of the water at me :)

Big parrots kind of scare me... but it's a good pic lol.
There you go Shauna! :)



The mountain lions are my favorite.
I have better pictures, but not sure where
 (out of the thousands of pics on my computer)
This year they were active, and got good video :)

Last but not least. We got some sad news about this one.
I'm pretty sure it's some kind of goat...
anyway, he was in the petting zoo. I don't know how long these goats live,
but I'm almost positive I have seen this one EVERY time since I was a kid.
FOR SURE since my son was a baby.
He was real nice and would come right up to you.
Last time I noticed green snot and told Ray he looks sick...
This time he wasn't there!
I asked and a girl said that some had recently died of old age :(
I am actually pretty sad about it...
 Rest In Peace Old Brown Goat!

Going to the zoo is our favorite thing to do in the summer. It used to be $4 for adults and $3 for kids. Sometimes we would go twice! It's not far at all obviously, if you know how much I HATE driving. This year it is $7.50 for adults and $6 for kids. SO a total of $21 just to get in. The sting rays are another $ each. Not the cheap trip it used to be, but still reasonable. Totally worth it :) I don't feel ripped off like I do when I leave the movies that's for sure!!! (although, I would if it was cleaning day every time I went...)

So anyway, we had a good time :) I hope you enjoyed the pictures!!!! Just don't use them for profit! (all you money hungry picture stealing people who follow my blog hahahaha) I think if I could do anything it would be a wildlife photographer. Wouldn't that be so awesome?

K, I'll be back for the missed menus and stuff. Have a great day!!!!!



4 comments:

  1. So glad you had fun! And you're right...great lookin' parrot pic of a mccaw!

    Did you get to feed the rays or just pet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a nice family day and managed to relax. I love going to the zoo and can't wait to get to Vegas so I can go to the Sea World and Wild Animal Park. I haven't actually gone to the zoo for a few years now but I am looking forward to Vegas. The pics are great thanks for sharing. It seems like the price of everything is going up and up. $7.50 doesn't sound too bad, I think it is something like $15 or $20 here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You zoo prices aren't bad. The Glady's Porter Zoo in Brownsville, Texas are $9.50 for adults and $6.50 for kids. I haven't been there in over 20 years and I'm due for a visit.

    That blue frog picture is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I figure they are probably good prices compared to other zoos. This is John Ball Zoo, It's not as big as a lot of other ones.

    We haven't fed the rays yet. They do it at certain times, and we are always early so we can be there as long as we want before it gets crowded. We've felt there mouths though looking for food, pretty funny. You can also pet the sharks. I have before, but they are at the bottom and it got my whole arm soaked reaching them :)

    Glad you liked the pics!

    ReplyDelete