Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Iced Coffee, Bike Riding Lessons and a Back Ache

My back hurts :(

Today was a good day over all. Stressful, hard, but good.

Today Ray and I took our son to ride his bike. Well, to teach him to ride it. I know, him not knowing how is a HUGE FAIL on our parts. I feel horrible about it. He just never wanted to have anything to do with it... I would watch my Mom's sister FORCE her son to do it and he hated it sooo bad... and maybe that's part of the reason mine didn't want anything to do with it??? Well, I should have forced him anyway I guess.
I wanted him to, and would try over the years but he just DID NOT WANT TO. Ray did not help me and made it seem like I should leave him alone... and finally I did. Ray also made it seem like it wasn't a big deal, because HE never learned how to ride a bike. But it is a big deal to me. I really liked riding my bike when I was little, and I think my son would too! I am so mad at myself for not making him sooner... but I figure it's better late than never?
SO I kind of made Ray back me up on this, and today was our first lessons. We went out to this huge church parking lot where we wouldn't be bothered (and he wouldn't be embarrassed) and did our best.
You remember teaching your child to ride his/her bike? Well, imagine trying to teach an 11 year old boy, who is almost as tall as you, and to heavy for training wheels... it is not easy. It was VERY stressful, but after about 2 hours, I think we made some progress.

On our way home we stopped at my brothers and had Jeff raise the handle bars (we did the seat fine, but needed a larger wrench for this) so that should help some for tomorrows lessons.
We did not go in at all, just stayed outside. Everyone came out and said hi, and knew we weren't staying. Mom showed us the little fish... pond/bowl she has in the yard now. Cute. I'm guessing Mom told them we are not coming over anymore... but maybe she didn't. They all acted fine though, no one is mad at me that I can tell, so that's good.

Ever since we left there, I have had this pain in my back. It started out as a small circle of pain, and has now spread to a large part of my back. It hurts most when I'm sitting, like right now. I must have pulled something... I'm hoping it heals on it's own and all will be fine. Having back problems is the last thing I need right now.

Here's what I ate today:
Breakfast: (214) Cold Coffee(with 2 tsp hazelnut creamer, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 tsp sugar) and a Fiber Plus bar
Lunch: NOTHING, off with bike lessons lol
Snack: (300) 1 cup of Heavenly Hash ice cream
Dinner: (714) Left over Taco Soup over tortilla chips and cheddar, water
Snack: (24) about 1/3 of a pear (53 grams)
Snack: (190) bowl of frosted wheat puffs with 1 cup ff skim milk
Total Water: 47 oz
Total Calories: 1442
I think I did OK. I could have skipped the chips and cheese at dinner, but I'm not mad at myself.
I took Tessa's advise and tried some home made Cold coffee! I got instant coffee, and a Hazelnut creamer. (I forgot about the suggestion of liquid syrup, and got powdered coffee mate. I WILL be checking the dollar store thanks to Colenic!) It was pretty good... It wasn't quite cold enough so not really 'iced' lol. Once I get it how I like it, I'll make a whole pitcher for the fridge, and it will be perfect. To the 1 cup of coffee and creamer, I added 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 tsp of sugar... I'm guessing the kind I'm used to is mostly milk and sugar LOL. It ended up to be 54 calories, A LOT better than 200! I'll keep working on it, till I get it how I want it... well, close to how I want it :) As close as I can get while keeping it far away from 200 calories hehe :)

Treadmill: 16 minutes/ .61 miles (5 minutes with 2 LB weights)
8 days in a row on it :)
My back felt fine the whole time, so that's good.

I know I need to get my food under control, I think I did better today. I'm hoping that if I do well for the rest of the week, and keep up on the treadmill, that the scale will be good to me :)

4 comments:

  1. I loved my bike growing up too! We lived in a huge neighborhood and I was on the thing constantly. We [fortunately] only had to teach one kid to ride - then he taught the rest [go us! :)] It is nerve wracking to say the least.

    And I saw your 8! Way to go, way to go, way to go! That is awesome. You rock on Tina!

    Your coffee sound really yummy - I know at some coffee places they shake the mixture with ice - something about the shaking makes the drink colder? What do I know tho' - I don't drink the stuff :) - but I am definitely sending Squirrel off to college with the recipe [and the goods to make it] Thanks. [and so low in calories - woot!]

    Hope you back feels better soon. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're doing great. i remember bike riding as a kid. we had those old heavy bikes (i'm old... what can i say) and they didn't have different speeds other than our own leg power. riding down the hill was great; coming back up was not so great.

    my kids all learned to ride by my oldest is the only one who really enjoyed it. the other two liked roller blades better.

    i like iced coffee, too - but it's got to be good quality coffee to start out with. i like to add chocolate flavoring to mine. heck, i like to add chocolate flavoring to my hot coffee, too. or kahlua. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you attempted the iced coffee. Making your own and saving all those calories has got to make you feel good. It took me a bit of experimenting before I got mine the way I like them. I make mine with lots of ice as I like them really cold (never heard about the shaking thing before). So far I have only used the liquid coffee creamer (low fat Hazelnut). They have other flavors but they are not low fat and I don't want to get hooked on using them. There are also sugar free syrups out there but again I haven't tried them. I use a good brand of instant coffee and make it to suit my taste. I'm not a big coffee drinker so make mine a little weaker. Let me know how the experimenting goes. Sounds like you had an awesome day, way to go. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments ladies! I'll be doing my post in a minute talking about my iced coffee troubles haha :) and my back ache...

    Mmmm, some Kahlua would really hit the spot right now!!! I use Maxwell House instant coffee. I don't' know if it's a good brand, I just know I've heard of it! lol.

    I do love the idea of it being so fewer calories :) Gotta keep experimenting though.

    Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete