Friday, August 20, 2010

My Squirrel Made Me Do It!!!

I just love my squirrel :) He's the best.
Here's a picture of him from May (when my camera worked right!)
Here's one of him coming to take his treat from me at the door another day



This is my Squirrel :) He started coming around the end of last winter. He eventually started taking the food from my fingers and would take it to the edge of the porch and eat it. He came more and more. Then it was EVERY DAY. As soon as I would open the door he would come running to get his treat (a big glob of peanut butter on bread or a cracker). He even started scratching at the door! If he came and I didn't see it, he would scratch, just to say "Hey it's me! I'm hear, come feed me please!"
WELL, he stopped coming one day. 2 months went by and I was pretty sad. I thought he must have been hit by a car :(
Then about 3 weeks ago he came back!!! I knew it was him because he is pretty scruffy looking with a weird patch at the base of his tail. He came right up to the door, but I didn't have any peanut butter! So I got him some bread... he is spoiled I guess, because he thinks he's to good for plain ole bread lol. He sniffed it, and even grabbed my hand! Then he turned around and left and didn't come back for another 2 weeks!!!! I bought peanut butter, and when he finally did come back a couple days ago, HE IGNORED ME! I think he was mad at me! LOL! I threw it to him, and he took it and ate it.
He was back out there today. I got him his treat and went to the door, I didn't even have to open it. I called him (a click-click-click noise with my mouth) and he came running :) He came right up to me like old times and got his treat and ate it at the corner of the porch :)
It's the little things that make me happy I guess :)

It may not seem like it... but this rambling story about my squirrel is leading up to another point :)
While I was getting his treat, I had way to much peanut butter on the spoon. I automatically ate it! As soon as it was in my mouth I had a "oh crap" moment. How many calories did I just mindlessly shove in my mouth!?!?! I'll tell you how many: 95. It may not seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things, but to just shove in my mouth? Without even thinking or wanting it??? THAT adds up!
How many times do I do that without even thinking??? I do it a LOT. And I swear, sometimes when I come and write down what I eat, I don't even remember it! It is just SO automatic. I mean, I remember if I do it with ice cream, or today's peanut butter, because it's not something I do all the time... but Cheese, that is the worst one. If I am making something and using shredded cheese I automatically take a pinch and eat it! A good size little pinch is 55 calories! I probably do that every other day, if I'm eating tuna sandwiches all week, then maybe EVERY DAY!

That has to stop. Instead of remembering what I ate at the end of the day, I am going to write it all down on paper as I eat it. That way NOTHING will be missed, and maybe I will think twice before eating it!
All of my crazy snacking and over eating also HAS to stop. I don't know if I can call the treadmill habit yet, but I am confident I won't stop doing it anytime soon. So I need to concentrate on my eating. I HAVE to do better.

What I ate Today:
Brunch: (455) 1/2 a ham and cheese omelet, 1 sausage patty, 8 oz orange juice
Snack: (95) 1 tbs peanut butter- Mindless Bite
Snack: (45) 1 bite of Heavenly Hash ice cream
Snack: (23) 1 werther's
Snack: (35) 1 bite of Mint ice cream (this was another of those mindless bites, while getting my sons ice cream)
Drink: (100?) Iced coffee with hazelnut coffee mate, milk, and sugar
Snack: (210) about 20 sunchips
Snack while making dinner: (55) pinch of cheddar- Mindless Bite
Dinner: (910) Asparagus stuffed chicken, 1 1/2 cups of chicken rice w/ cheddar, 1 cup ff skim milk
Snack: (200) Bowl of frosted puffed wheat cereal with 1 cup ff skim milk
Total Water: 42 oz
Total Calories: 2128
Ray made breakfast, it was very good.
I liked my iced coffee today, but I didn't remember how much of everything I used! So I'm guessing it was about 100 because I used more sugar today... Tomorrow I plan on trying liquid creamer and see how that goes :) Lots of mindless snacking today. I'm not against bites of things... IF after I thought about it, I really want that bite. These are just 'Shove it in my mouth without thinking bites' and they have to go. From now on, I hope you never see "mindless bite" next to anything again!!!
The sunchips? I wasn't even hungry for them, they were on the table and I was making dinner and grabbed them. Ugh.. I've done worse as far as calories and fast food ect. But today I feel like it's so bad because it was just so much mindless eating! It really feels like a step back :(
But it's ok, tomorrow is Friday. My weigh in and a new week. A great day to start really trying harder!

Treadmill: 15 minutes/ .58 mile
10 days in a row on it! :)
My back hurt all day, but I took something and it felt great while I was on the treadmill. Hopefully it will start to feel better.

I have done pretty bad with my eating this week. I'm hoping the extra exercise with bike training, and doing the treadmill ALL WEEK will help me out on the scale :) Also I have to get up early and do laundry and go dry it at the laundry mat. That might help too. Wish me Luck!!!!
See you tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. It is so cute that you have bonded with that little squirrel :)

    Maybe he was away because he had baby squirrels and they couldn't be left alone. I'm sure he would have had a good reason not to come and get some peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe! :)
    I once heard that a chipmunk only has a 3 day memory... and I wondered if that was the same for my squirrel... but that would mean that if he doesn't see me for 3 days he forgets all about me! I refuse to believe that! How can an animal have a 3 day memory??? That's just crazy.... right????
    lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a squirrel too [I mean besides our daughter Squirrel :)] - Wallene named him Mr. Bucky and if we don't put crackers out on the back porch railing he throws himself at our window [which scares the beejeebies out of me and makes me less inclined to feed the lil' snot when he does that. heehee]

    He comes back every year - and I was thinking the same thing as Mark - he/she might have had babies.

    WOOOT WOOOOT on the 10 my friend! Awesome. I am so happy for you - and didn't someone say it takes 27 days to make it a habit? Well you are almost halfway there - and good for you for getting on it eventhough your back hurt [but don't hurt it worse with the laundry today, okay? Be careful]

    Do you think you son would understand if you asked him to get his own snacks and stuff? He is certainly old enough to weild an ice cream scoop [that skill is desired by 6 year olds the world over heehee] so maybe if he was getting his own you wouldn't be tempted? And if you are worried about him serving himself too much just tell him he can have X number of scoops and no more. I can hold a scoop anymore so Wallene does all of that for me.

    I swear I do the exact same thing with cheese - except not shredded [I can never get that in my mouth - klutz that I am] but when I give the dogs cheese for a treat I am forever breaking off a piece for me too - and the stuff isn't exactly low in sodium. So I feel you pain on that one. But it is a good thing if you write it down as you do it then you know really how much you are eating.

    You are doing it by staying on the treadmill and being cognizant of what you are actually eating and I'd say it is working. I bet your weigh in will be good tomorrow. We're rooting for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for stopping in. I think a lot of us do a lot of mindless eating. I'm not even a big cheese fan and I always take an extra nibble when I'm making something. Until now, I never even thought about it.

    I am always a little shocked at the number of calories in juices and such - it seems so unfair.

    I don't love squirrels. I used to until they got in our attic and dug a hole through my bedroom ceiling nearly over my head where I sleep! Got rid of those pests! I'm still quite fond of chipmunks though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks SkippyMom!
    I actually didn't get to the laundry today... but it will wait for me won't it lol :)
    Sometimes I'm not graceful with the cheese, and the cats think I dropped it especially for them haha.
    yeah your right, my son could get his own. I guess because he's an only child I have just always got his stuff for him, and to avoid any messes. But I need to start letting him do more on his own, for a lot of reasons. When he does get his own ice cream or cereal or anything, he does good with not over doing it- MOST of the time :)

    Hi Jeannie!
    Yeah, juice has more calories then Pepsi, and I used that as an excuse before hehe. Not this time though... I should drink 4 oz of OJ instead of 8... that would help.
    Oh, chipmunks are the CUTEST! We have them here in Michigan, but not where I live :(
    Thanks for stopping by!!!

    ReplyDelete