Monday, August 9, 2010

Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired

This is all family drama, and me being pissed off. It's long and rambling. Nothing about food or weight. You can skip it if you want...

Maybe it's extra stress. Maybe it's because my feelings were already hurt because I believe Ray doesn't want to be seen with me. I don't know, but I am just sooo.... DONE. I'm just done right now. Done with waiting for my Mom to act like a responsible grandparent, done waiting for her and my brothers to care about how I'm trying to bring up my son. Just done.

I've told you I am the ONLY ONE in my family that doesn't smoke weed. And I mean that. They ALL smoke weed daily. Whatever. I don't smoke it at all, but if you do- it's your choice. My brother is grown, no kids, and he can smoke as much weed as he wants! It's his trailer, so whatever. My Mom can too. She can keep lying to herself and keep saying it makes her better. Fine. BUT I do NOT see why they have to do it while my son is there. But they do. They go in the bedroom and all get high, Ray included. FINE, stay in there so the smoke don't come out into the trailer, and expose our son to it.
As you know, my son is not allowed to spend the night there anymore. I figure we can go during the day and there is more of a chance my Mom will be able to go without getting high, and we can leave and it will all be fine. We don't go very often. Just when SHE invites us... we have NEVER EVER just popped in. So it's not like we surprise them.

Last weekend we were over there for my youngest brothers bday cookout. I walked out of the trailer onto the enclosed porch and thought they were smoking weed right there. I was pissed off. I went outside and told my Mom that common sense tells them people are opening that door all day, the smoke is going into where her grandson is sitting! It's the only entrance anyone uses! Including my son! I even told her " I hope you don't wonder why he can't spend the night anymore."
So anyway, I was pissed. The thing I was MOST pissed about was that Ray was doing that right there. SO when he came out I started in on him. It turns out they weren't smoking out there, just braking it up and getting ready. I told him how mad I was because I THOUGHT he was right there doing that. And I said to him "I mean, I know no one else around here respects anything I say- but I was so mad to see that you didn't either." but I let it go, because they hadn't done it right there. And it there were more people than normal... and that's how they do.

That was ONE week ago.

Today I walked out and could smell it. I shut the door and went outside. I was so pissed. My Mom came out, but went back in to take a few hits. She came out again and I said "What if my son wanted to come outside?" "Oh... I don't know." I just sat there... dazed. THEY invited us over for dinner. They know how I feel about it, and we are hardly EVER there!
So I sat there, getting more pissed off by the second. She went in to watch something and I didn't say anything to her. Jeff had come out and was sitting, and I think knew I was mad (he actually doesn't smoke while my son is there). Ray came out and I said "I wasn't imagining things this time right?" no. "and you were doing it too right?" yes. "If it's cleared out enough in there for him to walk through now, it's time to go." He went in to get our son, I was about to cry so I didn't wait. I didn't go in and say bye. I told Jeff goodbye and went and got in the car.

I don't cry in front of people. I especially don't want to cry in front of my son. I'm driving, and can't wait to drop them off. I decided I could wait and cry after they got out of the car. But the tears came. When Ray noticed, He said my name. I ignored him. He said it again and I said very slowly "I know that no one else there respects me, or how I am trying to raise my son. But- YOU- should." Exactly what I had told him ONE WEEK ago! After a while he said "I'm sorry, I just wasn't thinking."

I dropped them off and left. He said "I love you" as I was asking if he had his key. I didn't say it back. It's the first time EVER.
I had hardly no gas and no money on me or I would have drove around longer. I cried a little, thought a lot. I keep trying to decide if I'm over reacting... maybe I am? Maybe I'm under to much stress and am just to sensitive??? Am I making a mistake in being so mad???
I don't know. All I know is that I am so hurt right now. I would do anything for my family, and it has never been the same way the other way around. (My youngest brother wasn't there, and I do think he respects my feelings a little more) I just don't understand. If it were my nephew, I wouldn't dream of exposing him to anything, weed smoke, cigarette smoke, NOTHING. But they don't think like that. Even though they KNOW how I feel, they don't care. Especially my Mom. She makes me sick. She messed up so bad with us, and she had chance after chance after chance to be a good gramma.
You know what? About 6 years ago, 30 minutes after my son left there, her house got raided because she was letting my middle brother sell drugs from her basement. They had told me he quit because I was upset about my son being there with that. WELL, I got home from my job and her house was surrounded by cops and swat, the whole neighbor hood was there of course. The guns, the dogs, And all I could think is, my son was JUST here. What if they would have taken him??? Oh My God. What if they didn't believe I didn't know about it and kept him? Oh My God, Oh My God.
I had to go downtown and bail my youngest brother out of jail that night. During the next week I had a nervous breakdown or some shit. I got put on prozac, took 2 weeks off of work. And for a few YEARS wondered "What if" and what would i do if I lost my baby???
After all that? I STILL gave her another chance!!!!!!! Well lately, I have been thinking about that all the time.
Chance after chance after chance. I'm done. I'm done trying. I've waited for almost 12 years now for them to respect how I am raising my son. It's NOT going to happen. Fuck 'em.

But the main reason I am so upset is Ray. He KNEW how upset I was when I THOUGHT he had smoked weed right there in front of the door, and went and did it anyway!!!! I don't know what to think! Maybe he didn't want to say anything because it was my brother and 2 friends? I don't care WHO it was! He's older than all of them! He's not a kid, he doesn't have to impress anyone. He has a FAMILY. A son to think about.
And what about me? This is how much he respects MY feelings???? I feel so let down... I feel almost... defeated. Like I'm just fighting this uphill battle to raise my son right, and I'm doing it all alone. The neighborhood is against me, my grandmother has disowned me, my Mom and them couldn't care less. And now Ray. The one other person that is supposed to care the most.

AM I over reacting? Do I sound completely insane??????? Why am I here crying over this... don't I have enough problems? I don't know. I don't know how I should feel and what I should do.
I just know how I DO feel, and that is completely let down and alone.

11 comments:

  1. You do not sound insane but you are sending your son huge mixed messages and deluding yourself with the thought "On the front porch is wrong but in the bedroom with the door shut is okay."

    First - allowing your son anywhere near people doing illegal drugs is endangering the welfare of a child. You can claim that you didn't know, but that is not a legal excuse and he can be removed from your care. I cannot stress this enough [and is the thing that frightens me the most for you]

    Second - As I said above - on the front porch is wrong, but in a closed bedroom isn't? Your son is still being exposed to the smoke coming from the bedroom whether you believe that or not. He also KNOWS what is going on. You are condoning the use of illegal drugs when you set up those parameters for your mother and Ray.

    Third - Ray. Are you kidding me? He smokes dope in front of his own child? WOW. That blew me away. I don't blame you for being upset when he disregarded your feelings about this - but you have already given him the green light to go ahead and do illegal drugs, so really, what did you expect? That sounds harsh, I know, but people that get high really don't care about anyone else - they just want their weed. You are very important and deserve to be treated better but when he smokes in front of your child [and yes, the bedroom is in front of his son, closed door or not] do you really think Ray would put you first either? He is incredibly selfish.

    You have some hard choices to make but you had best start making them soon. Your son should come first and by allowing him around your Mother - whom you admit is an utter fail all around - you are putting him in harms way. Did you not learn it when your younger brother got busted? Again I am sounding like a big meanie and I really am not - you know everything I have said is true and you DO know what you have to do, but something is stopping you.

    I will say this - I would rather be alone with my children than to ever, EVER allow someone in their lives that is as detrimental as some of your family members are to his well being.

    Say what you will about marijuana, but I am sorry - it is illegal and one of the most insidious drugs ever. He does not need to be around it. period.

    The last thing that bothers me about this whole scenario is you all need to file bankruptcy because you don't have the money to pay the credit card bills but Ray has money for dope? Do you see anything wrong with this picture?

    I [obviously] have very strong feelings regarding the use of illegal drugs - I have seen first hand what it has done to people I used to love and care about - so if I came off sounding less than supportive I apologize. I am completely in your corner but I think you already what I have said. I just don't think you are ready or able to admit it is all true.

    Just do yourself a favor and stay away from your Mom, your brother and that trailer. It is a baddddd situation waiting to happen. Please. Just do it. Your son deserves to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Sorry about stating the obvious four different ways, but I am so, so worried about you and am trying to help give you the support to do what's right. I am sick with worry about you and your son because I have been in this situation with my family members and my first husband [who is now dead because of drug use] and I just want what is best for you two.

    Know I am sending you lots of love and hugs. And, again, if I sounded mean or less than supportive I didn't mean to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Crap. The comment I just wrote to you SkippyMom was to long to post, it wouldn't let me! So I emailed it to you lol.

    To make a long story short. I'm done going over to my Mom's. I never said it was ok to smoke weed in the bedroom... they are grown and do what they want. I thought not letting him stay there anymore would change things but it's not... I am so mad at ray that I'm not even speaking to him... at the same time I don't consider that doing it in front of him, or he would be GONE. He's a good dad otherwise, I don't think I should make him leave... Do you think I should make him leave? I couldn't if I wanted to I have no job... not sure what to do... thank you... sorry about your ex and any pain you have had to go through... thank you, hugs... the end...

    Except WAY LONGER, and also including that weed will be legal soon now that the government is making money off it. It's already legal here for medical... soon everywhere. But stil won't be ok around my son. ok, I think those are the important parts of my giant book of a response.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina-
    I have my own opinions about using...but the bigger issue is the complete disregard for the way you want to raise your son. Your family sounds like they have never been supportive and that's a shame, but Ray should know better. Maybe it's time to sit down and have a serious conversation about the fact that you don't want your son around that and he's at an impressionable age and you don't want him to think that it's okay for him to use. Ray needs to understand that you are trying to raise your son so that he understands that this is not a good choice and he needs to respect that decision. I think it would be best for your son if you stopped seeing your mom for a while- is that the only place that Ray smokes? If it is, then you can kill two birds with one stone- you don't go there and neither does Ray. Hugs....i am sorry that you are going through this....

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Tina....I have to say I totally agree with SkippyMom on this. I, too, have seen what drugs and alcohol abuse can do to those I love and it's terrible. I'm SO in agreement that I'd never go to your mom's again! How dare she even CONSIDER doing drugs in any child's presence...let alone her GRANDCHILD!!! That's a complete disregard for his safety and well-being!

    And Ray...wow. Give him an ultimatum, Tina. He stops smoking dope (or at least, around his son and you...or your home) or he's out. Girl, you are one strong ass woman...you can survive without a man. But you do not have to deal with a dope head.

    I'm sorry you're going through all of this. I'd have read this and responded before now but having major computer issues and using my slow ass computer is unpleasant. Haha. I love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colenic, that's how I feel. Ray DOES know exactly how I feel, and makes it clear that he feels lucky to have me for his son's mother... I thought we were at a point where he cared about my feelings and respected them. That's why I am so surprised and hurt. There really isn't much more I can say to him, he already knows, we've already talked about it... I just can't understand why he did that. He has been apologizing. I asked why my feelings are so unimportant that he would forget how upset I was after one week. He just keeps saying he doesn't know, he's sorry, he wasn't thinking ect.

    I'm not going to my mom's anymore. I can't handle the stress. It's been 12 years of waiting and I'm done. As far as Ray, he does it upstairs in the room, but you can NEVER smell it in the house. It goes straight out the window with the fan, and I know people will think that's awful that I allow it, but he is a good dad, and it's just not enough for me to leave him for... I WISH he didn't do it at all. But he does. When he first moved in, it was NOT allowed in my house. For a year I believed he wasn't doing it at all... The WHOLE time he was over doing it with my family! And they all lied to me about it! (I wouldn't be suprised if they all disowned ME if i did leave him) Some how gradually he was doing it here... and I don't even know how it became normal, I just caved I guess...
    Thanks for your comment Colenic. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Shauna, and thanks for going through all the trouble with the computer to talk to me :)
    I have seen it all too, drugs and alcohol can be horrible. I agree with that. I guess that fact that I thought people would think I am over reacting just shows how different marijuana is viewed here... I DO NOT want it around my son, but like I said- I'm not ready to leave Ray because he smokes it. I wish he didn,t, but as long as it's not around my son, I just can't do it. He is such a good dad, and good to me too. I know people won't agree, but it is what it is.

    Thanks :) I know I can survive without a man, and I used to really think I was strong. Right now I don't feel strong at all. And I have no job and kicking him out is not an option right now financially. BUT I don't want to anyway...
    Thank you Shuana, you are so sweet :)

    I'm not sure what to do. I just feel so let down... We still aren't really talking, but I know he's sorry. I know I probably look bad because I'm 'allowing' it... Everyone I know would think I was a crazy bit** if I actually kicked him out over weed. I don't care what they think, I'm just trying to emphasize how differently it is viewed by everyone around me. I love Ray, and we have been through worse than this... But it's been a long time that I thought i could totally trust him now. And now I feel so bad, and unsure.
    Thank you all for your comments, I really do appreciate it.

    I never planned on opening up like this on this blog, and now I feel pretty weird about it. But it's probably good for me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tina, I've read this over several times and am having a hard time understanding how you can get upset when Ray "smokes" at your Mom's but it's ok to do it in your own home. Seems like a mixed message that you are sending to your son. Believe me at 12 he knows more about what is going on that you think. You say Ray is a good dad in all ways but this one, seems maybe this is the one area where he should be the best. After 12 years of exposing your son to drugs and still think it is ok if his father does it in your home but not at your mother's does not comprehend with me. You could have so easily lost him in that raid if like you said you had gotten there even half an hour later. That would have been the last straw for me, they wouldn't have seen me or my son for the dust.
    I have experienced what drugs can do to a family. Some years back my son got injured at work. Now he had a job that paid big money and of course the more he earned the more he spent. All of a sudden there was not enough income to cover the bills and the pain was unbearable, so he turned to cocaine. People would tell me this and I would deny it, saying my son would never get involved with that stuff. Well one day the police did a bust on his house and carted him off to jail. He called me to tell and asked me to bail him out, I said no, let your drug friends do it. Well they let him out on a promise to appear and guess what.......3 weeks later they did another raid. This time he begged me to help him and so I talked it over with hubby and we agreed but with it came some pretty heavy conditions. I still remember to this day when we went to court and posted bail for him the judge looked at me and said "It's your house, your rules and don't either of you forget it." He lost everything he owned and got sentenced to 3 years in federal jail. He served 6 months time and 6 months in a half way house before he was released on parole. He still tells to this day that he will never forget those words that day and that he will always respect my home. I know what drugs can do because I cleaned up the aftermath of that mess. I had to sell all his possessions and pack up the house he was living in. I spent my weekends visiting him in jail. It wasn't a pleasant experience but I can tell you this, it was the best thing that ever happened to him. Not sure why I'm telling you this other that to let you know you are not alone in this. First thing you have to remember is that as long as you allow it in your home you are telling your son it is okay to break the law. You are sending him mixed messages and I can guarantee you if he hasn't tried it already he soon will unless you make some changes and soon. You may think you are protecting him but you are not.
    My first reaction would be to kick Ray to the curb, tell your family to take a hike, take my son and go to a shelter where no one could find me and have them help me start over. You are a tough lady and I kow you could do it.
    You took a brave step forward with this post now take another one and clean up the situation before something terrible happens and you cannot reverse it. We are all here for you, love you and support you. There is no shame in trying to protect the ones you love but you have to do it on all fronts. What is bad in one place is no less terrible in your own home. May God be with you as you make these decisions and I'll be right there beside you all the way. HUGS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, people are going to believe what they want. My son HAS NOT tried drugs, and DOES NOT know Ray smokes weed. Believe it or not, I live here, and I know what goes on in my home. Like I said, I wish he didn't do it at all. But he does. He has since the day I met him. I'm not leaving him for it. Some people don't understand that... and that's fine. My son has NEVER been exposed to it in my home. NEVER. I KNOW my son and I are better off now than we would be in a shelter with NOTHING.

    I wish he didn't smoke weed, but it's not really the same as cocaine, or even being a drunk. (And I've seen it all, there is no comparison)If I thought my son was in any danger or in harms way, I would protect him. There way cocaine would be allowed in my house. Just as if he EVER got drunk and belligerent he would be GONE.

    I am beyond upset, I am VERY depressed right now over this. Somehow it seems that it comes across as I think it is all ok. Which I don't. I'm hardly even speaking ot Ray right now. He has no idea what I'm going to do- but I'm not leaving him, he may not know that, but I know that and now you all know that. And you may not agree with my decision, but I know it's the right one for me and my son.

    I have not been exposing my son to drugs for 12 years. I have been trying to do whats right for him for 12 years. I have finally decided to not let my Mom have him over any more over a month ago. That wasn't enough. So now I have decided we will no longer go over there at all-which means probably never seeing ANY of my family anymore. I am doing the best I can and putting my son first. Kicking out his dad who loves him and is a great dad is not best. Neither is moving out of our home to a shelter.

    I have experienced it all too. And I know you want whats best for me, but I am doing what I think that is. What I think is best for my son.

    Thank you for your love and support. I'm kind of starting to regret posting this. I was just being honest about what I am going through... but as long as I have support I know I did the right thing.

    And I actually thought everyone would think I was over reacting! HA!
    I am wondering if the laws maybe different here. He does NOT SELL it, and will NEVER sell it. The little amount he has, is not enough for the cops here to even care. They are busy with shootings and dealers ect. If the police came to my house right now he would get a ticket and pay a fine. That's it. Of course that would never happen because he doesn't sell it. And doesn't smoke it out in the open.
    If he were caught walking around with it (which he NEVER carries it on him) he would get a ticket. Some cops just take it and send you on your way. No fine or anything.

    Whether you agree or not, whether I agree or not, doesn't matter. It is what it is. It will soon be legal, and I can't see explaining to my son down the road why I made his father move out even though he was great and loved us. Why we were left with nothing, Just because he smoked weed. As long as my son is not exposed to it, that's all that matters to me. And now that I have decided we will not go over and see ANY of my family again, he won't be.

    People are going to disagree with my decisions, and that's fine. As long as we keep it real. Weed is weed. It's not cocaine. It's not a hard drug. Shit, it's not even as bad as alchohol.

    it doesn't make people go on rampages, it doesn't kill people, and it will be legal very soon. Again: I WISH RAY DIDN'T DO IT AT ALL, but it's just not worth Turing my son's whole life upside down because he does. I know marijuana is not going to make him go on a rampage, hurt me or our son, hurt himself, go get in a car and kill someone, or die. It will relax him and ease his stress. The biggest side affect is that he might play xbox for 2 hours. Sorry if people see me as a horrible mother now because I'm not going to kick him out for that, but I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. no i dont think you were over reacting..my goodness you are the mom and you have every right to choose what standards you want to have for your family. You have every right to set the rules for raising your son. I will keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Ordinary Girl :)
    I learned a lot from posting this, about how weed is viewed by different people. I guess thinking that everyone might think I was over reacting kind of shows how nonchalant everyone around me and where I live, is about it.
    I have also learned that my attitude had changed about it too... I guess I got kind of desensitised over the years, and while I don't want it around my son- I guess I grew to kind of accept it as a way of life... if that makes any sense?
    But you're right, I'm the mother and I am not going to change my standards to fit those around me!
    Thank you so much for your prayers :) Things are MUCH better now!

    ReplyDelete