Friday, March 26, 2010

The Weigh In, The Buffet, and The Food Revolution

THE WEIGH IN:
First we'll start with the good news. My new weight is...
Woooo Hoooo!!! That's a 3.8 Pound Loss this week!!!
My Totals for the WEEK: 3 hours 15 minutes/6.45 miles on the Treadmill, 300 Crunches.

We had a great day. We went to see How To Train Your Dragon in 3D and we all enjoyed it. I was impressed with the 3D, more then the other movies we've seen in 3D. We went to Old Country Buffet afterwards, because it is my son's favorite place and we never go there... I was pretty nervous about it. I actually looked it up last night and they have nutrition fact sheets right on there site, and it was SO easy to count the calories. So that was really nice.
THE BUFFET:
So I got my first plate... kind of a sample plate. I walked around and really thought about what I wanted and only got a little of each thing. I was so surprised at how good the New Orleans Bourbon St Chicken was!!! With the rice, it was SO good. The rice must have been the Cajun dirty rice. So I ended up getting another 1/2 plate. This one with more rice and chicken and some broccoli salad. I left most of the salad on the plate. Then I went and got nachos from the taco bar. And that should have been it... but there was dessert. I got a plate and went a little crazy I guess... I pretty much put anything that looked good on it. I just took VERY small portions of the stuff and got back to the table and looked at it LOL. So I only ate 1 or 2 bites of most of it. Except the ice cream and hot fudge cake, I did eat that. Oh and the tiny brownie. I know it was a lot of food, but all in all I thought I did ok, I left food on every plate... BUT then I got home and looked at it all and counted all the calories... Yeah... Not so good. I decided that buffets are just to much for me to handle- I should really just stay away from them for now!!!! I am seriously going to try and stay away AT LEAST till the end of Tessa's challenge :) That's a good goal I think!
So I wasn't hungry for the rest of the day. Just really thirsty so that's good I guess.

Here's My Day:
Breakfast: (435) 1 egg and 1/8 cup shredded cheese on sourdough english muffin,1 small sausage patty, 1 cup FF skim milk
Lunch: (2086) PLATE ONE: Bourbon chicken, Cajun rice, 1 roll, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes w/chicken gravy, 3 potato wedges PLATE 2(half plate) serving of bourbon chicken and dirty rice, tiny amount of broccoli salad PLATE 3(half plate) 7 tortilla chips w/ taco meat, nacho cheese, sour cream, salsa about 6 oz sprite DESSERT PLATE: 2 bites of cherry cobbler and bread pudding. tiny brownie. Hot fudge sundae cake with ice cream. about 8 oz  chocolate milk. (two turtle doves and a partridge in a pair tree!)
Dinner: nothing
Drink: (200) Beaumont Iced Coffee- Mocha (cheaper store brand version of Frappuccino)
Total Water: 54 oz
Total Calories: 2721

Treadmill: 20 minutes/.67 miles with 2 LB weights for 5 minutes of it
Crunches: 100

FOOD REVOLUTION:
WARNING this is about a show I watched, I rambled quite a bit, so if you already saw it or just don't care, you don't have to waste your time- I know it's alot to read LOL!!!
I just had to mention this show I watched tonight on ABC, I hope you had a chance to watch it! I thought it was really good. It really makes you think. It's called Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. It is about a chef (Jamie Oliver) who goes to a town called Huntington. I think it is in Virgina, maybe West Virginia... anyway- it is the most obese/unhealthiest city in the united states, maybe the world. He wants to change this by making people go back to cooking natural foods and getting rid of all the processed stuff. Oh my goodness- Soooo much processed stuff. I am not in a position to judge at all, I am guilty of having lots of processed foods in my house... but the family he is working with, that's ALL they eat. The whole family is VERY over weight and I felt especially bad for the little girl, she is obese and I thought about 7- but she was only 4! Jamie was concentrating on the 6th grader, and trying to teach him to cook and really wants to help him. And the kid is all for it!!! Which was awesome.
He brought the whole family to the doctor and had the boy tested for diabetes because of warning signs. A warning sign was darkness of his neck... which I have never heard before. AND something I have... which really scares me... as I said before I don't go to the doctor because I don't even want to know- but this really did make me think. i hope that if I do have diabetes I can reverse it by continuing to change my eating habits and keep loosing weight. I hope I don't have it and will save my self from getting it at all.
I know I'm rambling, but a lot of this show really opened my eyes and surprised me. My son is also over weight. He isn't as big as these kids were- but if I were to keep up my bad habits he could very well get there. He knows I am trying to loose weight and get healthy. He knows that I am changing ALL of our eating habits so that he can be healthy too. I don't want him to be self conscious, but I don't want him missing out on life because of his weight either. So he knows I want him to loose weight. I have been very careful about talking to him about it (unlike my mother) so that he doesn't reject it. I tell him I love him and I don't care how big he is. It doesn't make any difference. I tell him that I just want him to be HEALTHY. And that I don't want him to grow up and be like me. Not because he will be fat, but because he will be unhealthy, not be able to do anything without being in pain and out of breath. I hope I am doing the right thing with him...
Anyway, back to the show! The main thing Jamie Oliver was concentrating on was the school food. It is SO ridiculous!!! The lunch ladies don't like him because he's in their kitchen telling them how unhealthy the food is... Now, it is understandable to a point, I mean, it's one thing to say "hey this is the best we can do with our budget and we are not in charge of what we serve..." but one lunch lady was just SOOO defensive and fighting him the whole show!!! It's ALL processed food, yet she was offended when called a lunch lady!!! She wants to be called a cook.... WHATEVER. So he asked her if she even knew what the ingredients mean, and she says "Beef- the first ingredient" or "potatoes- the first ingredient" and when asked about the rest of the unidentified ingredients, it didn't matter to her! Instead of just saying maybe your right- she was acting like it's all healthy the whole show! She said the potato pellets are a cooks best friend... when he first tried to serve healthy food and it failed she LAUGHED at him. I just couldn't get over her- she really is a piece of work.
The kids of the town are heading for obesity and it's not there fault at all... He did an experiment that ALWAYS works in England he said. He showed a group of kids all the parts of a raw chicken, and took the gross leftover pieces and they all agree that it's nasty and unhealthy. He grinds it up to "eeewwws and grosss" and makes chicken nuggets out of them. and when asked if they would eat them, they ALL said yes!!! He said it was the first time the experiment failed! When he went into a classroom and tested the kids about vegetables, they didn't even know the names of ANY of them!!! Not even tomatoes or potatoes! I just couldn't believe it!
Anyway, this ended up alot longer then planned LOL, I think I'll put a warning at the top LOL! and it's almost midnight so I'll end it! I hope it comes on again next friday. I really want to see if he helps this town, and if he helps the boy loose weight. K, I gotta go!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Tina, thank you so much for this post it was most enlightening. North America is the unhealthiest place in the world. We are leaders in processed food and obesity. And why, because we are just plain lazy (sorry, I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings). I know for myself, because I work full time, sometimes meal preparation seems like such a chore and it's just easier to pop into the store and grab something. I grew up in the 50's and the only processed food I can remember being in the house was tomato soup. Other than that everything was homemade. Yes, my mom was a stay at home mom and perhaps had more time, but she also did not have access to a crock pot, oven with auto start or some of the other fancy gadgets we have today that can lessen the time we need to spend in the kitchen. I'm also proud of the way you are handling your son's weight problem. We should never stop loving anyone because of how they look and you are on the right track. We have to set a good example for others and by you eating healthy and exercising he is going to see the results and want them for himself. What a great post, loved reading every word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much Tessa! That really means a lot to me. My son in the most important thing in my life and I just want him to be happy and healthy.
    Thank you also for reading my long description of this show. LOL, I worry that I just ramble on a little to much sometimes, but this show really effected me. I'm so glad you enjoyed my post!!!

    ReplyDelete