Sunday, March 7, 2010

Whole Wheat Bread

Well... I bought some whole wheat bread yesterday. I've always heard it is so much better for you, and notice that on the blogs I read- that is what most people are eating. BUT... I don't like it. I will go through the loaf and hopefully get used to it.
I have a question: Is it really that much better for you??? I was holding the two loafs side by side in the grocery store, and the difference wasn't as drastic as I thought it would be... and the white bread seemed to have more nutrients... Did I get the wrong kind? Is there a certain kind any of you prefer? I bought Wonder Soft 100% Whole Wheat bread. 110 calories, 1.5 grams of fat... I picked it because it doesn't look to grainy like some I've had in the past. My son hates it LOL. I thought if I just made it and gave it to him he wouldn't notice. I guess he's to old for that trick because he sure did notice!!!! lol.

You'll see that I had a bagel this morning. I know that they are bad, but I saw them in the store and had to have them! lol. I do feel guilty now though, thinking "why buy whole wheat bread and turn around and eat a bagel???" Doesn't make much sense huh... But you know I am AGAINST depriving myself of things I love, so next time I am going to eat only HALF the bagel.

It's the weekend, which is always hard. My son has left for the night- so it's even harder!!! I have really been trying to watch what I eat in front of him (because I am making him eat more fruits and veggies, so I can't be eating junk in front of him! lol) so with him gone... it is going to be even worse then usual tonight!!!! I will try to keep my self under control. For the last 2 days I have been craving both sweets and salty stuff like chips. I usually don't CRAVE like this (except for tuna sandwiches lol) so that sucks. I'll have to try extra hard to get through today!

Here's My Day:
Breakfast: 1 Bagel with about 1 1/2 tbs cream cheese. about 8 oz of orange juice
Lunch: Spinach/Romain salad with about 1/4 cup of cheddar, 1 tbs light ranch, 10 croutons. A chimichanga and 5 tortilla chips with about 1/4 cup of cheddar and salsa. Water
Snack: about 1 cup of ice cream
Drink: about 8 oz of V8 Fusion- Acai Mixed Berry
Snack: 9 Lay's cheddar&sour cream chips
Dinner: Ordered Vitale's- 2 large slices of BBQ Chicken Pizza, 1 small slice, 2 bread sticks, about 2 tbs sauce, 1/2 can Mtn Dew
Total Water Today: 30 oz
UGH! Why did I eat all that?!?!?!? My stomach is definitely stretched back out some, because Even though I ate all that for dinner, I wasn't even stuffed- a couple weeks ago I would have been!!! BBQ chicken pizza from there used to be my favorite thing to order, but I honestly didn't even like it... yet I ate all that anyway... UGH!!!
Treadmill: 15 minutes (1/2 mile)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tina, whole wheat vs white bread. We only eat whole wheat but I stick to the 60% as it is not as heavy and the 100% and we like the taste of it better. I don't think nutrionally there is much of a difference other than the fibre content. Whole wheat definitely has more fibre. Once you get used to it you will find it is much better and that while bread will start to taste gummy. We haven't had bread for over a week now and don't really miss it. My hubby's biggest downfall is that he likes to make everything into a sandwich so if I take away the bread he just eats good wholesome food without the carbs. I did a quick calaculation on the amount of calories for your meals yesterday and by my figuring you had around 3700 calories. Did you know that 3500 calories is equal to 1 pound. So if you cut your calorie intake to 1500/day you could in reality lose half a pound a day. Eating favorite foods is ok in moderation but when you have 1 cup of ice cream, depending on the kind, you are looking at 240 - 300 calories in that alone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should count calories if that is not your thing but if you are aware of what you are intaking it can be quite a surprise. It's a struggle for all of us to get these pounds of and for most of us it is portion control over food choices. Yes, it is better to eat healthy but I think we should all be able to enjoy what we like and as you are doing just eat less of it. Someone once said "after the first two bites, the rest are redundant." Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 3700 calories! That is a lot... I definitely have been eating to much in the last few days.
    I guess the reason I don't count calories is it just seems like so much work! If it isn't listed right in front of me, I don't even know how to find out... it doesn't seem like something I would stick to... maybe I will try it though, just to see how much I'm actually consuming...

    I actually do think white bread gets gummy- Neither me or my son can eat just bread, I guess I haven't mentioned it but I ALWAYS toast my bread- ALWAYS. lol. I had some more wheat toast today and it is getting easier to eat. I'll have to wait and see if I think it's worth it by the end of the loaf I guess :)
    I saw your post the other day, something like "have an open faced sandwich" and I think I might do that more often. I don't NEED both slices of bread...

    Thanks for all the info Tessa! I really do appreciate it! My day didn't start off great... but my son got home so it is now :) I hope you are having a great day also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whole-wheat bread! yummers. Hhaha I know you don't really like it, but I love it. haha, seriously, if I have a choice I will go with whole-wheat every time. I love it's chewy texture and it's nutty flavor. Yummers. Heh, I know most people only eat it because it's healthy, but I just love it. But in reality, it really is better for you than white bread and it doesn't have to do with the calories or the fat grams as much as it has to do with the fiber.

    If your stomach was a furnace, eating white bread (made of refined flour) would be like putting a stack of paper (made by refined, processed wood) in the furnace - it burns up real quickly. Whereas eating whole-wheat bread would be like putting a log in the fire, it burns up much more slowly because of all the substance it has like bark and wood. That's what's happening inside your body. Your body burns up the calories through chemicals, but the thing is, if you eat stuff that has low fiber like white bread, your body will be able to digest this stuff super quickly and consequently, for the same amount of food you eat, you will feel hungry sooner. It's a fullness factor thing. Plus! Your body can't digest "insoluble" fiber, so the more grams of insoluble fiber per piece of bread, the less calories you're actually digesting per serving. heh, i hope that makes sense, and I really hope you start liking the taste of whole-wheat bread by the end of the loaf! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, and if you really want to, you should look for bread that has at least 3 to 4 grams of fiber per slice, I'm sure each package will give this info on the back...heh...sorry...i just really love whole-wheat bread. heh, ok i'm done now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, thanks Jenny! I can see you love it, and that makes me want to try really hard to like it also :) Well, that and your explanation- That does make sense, thank you :) I looked, and my wonder bread I bought only has 1.5 grams of fiber per slice. I'll make sure to pay attention to that next time I go shopping. I still have most of the loaf left, so I have time to develop a taste for it... I hope LOL.

    ReplyDelete